April 03, 2013

One Dance With a Duke by Tessa Dare Review

One Dance With a Duke 
Stud Club #1
by Tessa Dare
Published on May 25th 2010
Ballantine Books, 384 pages
Find the title on Goodreads

In One Dance with a Duke—the first novel in Tessa Dare’s delightful new trilogy—secrets and scandals tempt the irresistible rogues of the Stud Club to gamble everything for love.

A handsome and reclusive horse breeder, Spencer Dumarque, the fourth Duke of Morland, is a member of the exclusive Stud Club, an organization so select it has only ten members—yet membership is attainable to anyone with luck. And Spencer has plenty of it, along with an obsession with a prize horse, a dark secret, and, now, a reputation as the dashing “Duke of Midnight.” Each evening he selects one lady for a breathtaking midnight waltz. But none of the women catch his interest, and nobody ever bests the duke—until Lady Amelia d’Orsay tries her luck.

In a moment of desperation, the unconventional beauty claims the duke’s dance and unwittingly steals his heart. When Amelia demands that Spencer forgive her scapegrace brother’s debts, she never imagines that her game of wits and words will lead to breathless passion and a steamy proposal. Still, Spencer is a man of mystery, perhaps connected to the shocking murder of the Stud Club’s founder. Will Amelia lose her heart in this reckless wager or win everlasting love?

- Goodreads.com description



As my life of now, I decided I won't call myself "I am happy being alone" but, instead call myself "I am happy being free". So far, feels good. Well, honestly it felt good for years now. But at this certain point of my life, I must admit to myself, I am happy being free. I am satisfied with my life. But that doesn't mean I would neglect myself a good romance book, now would I? Because really, who needs a man? I'm no feminist or anything, but simply stating a fact. I figured I would rather cuddle with a romance book any day :)



I decided to read this book, because I came across a quote that struck me still. Holy shit. It was good. Hence I decided this book must be completely awesome.

"I'm infatuated with you, I cannot deny it. Physically speaking, you're a very attractive man. But I don't like you, the vast majority of the time. So far as I can gather, you behave abominably in public and are only marginally better in private. I only find you remotely tolerable when you're kissing me."

Isn't it awesome?!
God, I forgot how much I love historical romance. It's just something about it that makes it pure awesomeness. I don't particularly like horses, or big animals in general, but I did enjoy this book quite a lot. 

Amelia. Oh, Amelia was such a sweet and determinated and amazing character. I laughed so much hearing her speak her thoughts. But she was also so very honest with her husband. I admired that. She didn't put up with his shit and she always challenged him when he deserved it. Holy wow.

Spencer. Thank god, the book was written in dual POV or I don't know what I would have thought of him. At the beginning he was so impertinent and arrogant and it frustrated me and delighted me with no end. And then after a while he softened. And I was all like "awwww" <3 

The book overall was really good, and if you are a fan of Historical romance, then I would definitely suggest you to read this book. And the writing is very good as well. The hot, sexy scenes were written very good ;) Which I much appreciated. One dance with a duke is a Historical romance not to be missed!

"I see." Beauvale glared in Spencer's direction. "People will be talking?"
"Yes, the will. It cannot be helped. In fact, the gossip is likely to increase with the announcement of a betrothal. We may as well make the engagement brief."
Silence.
Brother and sister stared at him in open-mouthed shock. Spencer rocked idly on his heels, waiting. Lady Amelia left her brother's side and went to the nearest chair. At last, the thought had occurred to her to sit. 
"Forgive me, Your Grace," she began, "but this had already been a rather unbelievable night. And it is giving way to a positively apocryphal morning. I though I just heard you refer to an engagement."
"Yes. Ours."
More stunned silence.

He gave her a chastening look. "Even from that stinting description, we'd have a better foundation for marriage than many couples."
"Yes, but it's still nowhere near the marriage I'd dreamed of having."
"Well." The duke released her hands and stepped back. "It would seem you have a choice. Will it be the dreams? Or me?"
"No woman should have to make such a choice."



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...